If you've been exercising a lot (or if you're really unfortunate, if you've been exercising just a little) you may find yourself in the position of having a sore or tight whatnot that requires assistance to ease the discomfort. Last year, due to an epic battle with shin splints (I am currently winning - go me!) I have found myself in the unique and arguably quite wanky position of being able to say 'I have an appointment with my sports massuese' on a frequent basis. As I have spent quite a few hours 'on the table', I thought I would share some of the insights I have gained.
In case you were wondering…..yes, those are my legs….in my dreams
- Sports massage hurts……..…alot
- Remember giving birth? [No neither do I, as I was off my face on Pethidine] The bad news is that it hurts as bad as that. The good news is that it only lasts an hour
- Lying face down on the massage table is the best position to be in, because your masseuse cannot see all the swear words you are silently mouthing
- I have said more swear words on my Masseuse's table than I have in the rest of my life
- Having a strange man handle your muffin top is a very effective incentive to 'Step away from the chocolate'
- I have been known to almost cry during particularly painful bits….almost.
- Getting the lower half of your body 'worked on' is a very effective workout for your upper body - it's amazing how sore you can be after gripping the table tensely for 60 minutes.
- On 'not so sore' days, getting a sports massage is great because you can talk for 60 minutes non-stop on any topic of your choice and your masseuse has to listen
- On sore days, getting any sound other than a swear word out is just not possible.
- You can guarantee that after a sports massage, I will wake up every time I turn over in the night - ouch!
- You can guarantee that 24 hours after a sports massage I will feel like a new woman!
- Because I know that in a days time I will feel like a new woman, you can guarantee that I will have made another appointment before I leave